Monday, October 27, 2008

Ruins, beach, school fun

It´s been a while and it´s been BUUUSY!

A couple weekends ago, I made a last minute decision to join some friends on a trip to Trujillo, 8 hours north of Lima, by bus. We actually stayed in a place called Huanchaco, at the beach. We had a pretty lazy weekend :)


First we went to Chan Chan, ancient ruins from the Chimú reign, pre-Inca and considered the largest of its kind in the world (covers about 14km today, 20 back in its time... 850-1500). We went souvenir shopping and beach bumming. That night we stayed on the beach with drinks and had so much fun between the 9 of us. When we were heading back to the hotel, we stopped at the little bodega where we got the drinks and I and 2 others stoped to chat with the not-so-sober shop owner and her friend and I lost a Jenga match to them.

The next morning, a Saturday, some friends left to go see more ruins, but I spent the entire day surfing!! My first experience and it was SO much fun! Of the total 5 hours or so that I was out in the water, I was probably only on my feet for a total of 10 seconds, but the most fun, for me was just laying on the board and being ZOOMED onto the beach SO fast by the tide and then stuck there in the sand when the tide went down. I´m pretty sure it was entertaining for the people nearby, as well!

The following week I was busy studying for midterms.. well for just one, really. ( I just got it back today, and i got 16 out of 20! that´s not bad!! I did better than a peruvian friend of mine in the class!!)

On Tuesday, I was eating lunch at the university by myself, wearing sports pants and a Germany jacket because I´d just had my dance class, when some guy came up to me. He wanted to know if i would participate in this competition thing going on between the different sections of engineering (there are 7 here.. mechanical, electrical, civil, industrial, mining (?), informatics (his section), and telecommunications). I said i was interested and we met the next day to go over the schedule of when the games were, what sports I could participate in. This guy´s name is Luis. We met again Saturday to practice basketball.. ( i ended up doing basketball, volleyball, and a little soccer). Since then, I feel like I´ve seen him every day.. he´s a really great guy and so much fun. He really got me into the whole competition thing, and now I know the mascot, have 3 informatics tshirts, met tons of new people and could sing you at least 4 informatics cheers :)
(Luis is the one standing directly behind Patan, the mascot)

There are also other activities during this Week of Engineering. Basketball, soccer, volleyball, ping pong, chess, nintendo games, drinking games (ej. one puts a diaper on another and the diapered one has to finish a babybottle of beer faster than the rest), a funny theatrical performance, dances (traditional and modern), areobics, king and queen contest, and more drinking games (something with a tricycle).

Then, Thursay morning (the week after I met luis), each team was given a set of 100 tasks. The goal was to complete as many tasks as possible before 5 pm. In the first task I saw, people were putting on fruit, vegetables and other food costumes. Then they ran around looking for `una gordita` or `chubby girl`. They ended up putting a wig and a skirt on a boy and the foods chased him throughout the university.

Another task involved a bunch of guys dressed in black cloaks.. they went into a dark room then picked up two boys and helped them move thoughout the air, making a matrix scene. There was a task to find an old concert ticket, to wash a car, to wax a guys chest (no screaming) to dye the president`s and vice president´s hair (vp= luis), to chew and pass a piece of gum between 10 people.. mmmm ok, i was involved in that.. , to have a nonenigineering foreign person read a complicated math problem in their native language, like the gum one but with a worm (we didn´t do that.. i havent seen any worms really), things like that.

The last day, a Saturday, of the competition, we played basketball and soccer. We came in first in basketball but 4th in soccer. Then there were sketches and a dance competition later on in the day and everyone started dancing around the limit of the actual dance competition. we were all having sooo much fun dancing and it got bigger and bigger. They finally announced the overall winners.. not us. we got fifth out of 7. oops. kinda the worst they´ve ever done, i think. oh well. Haha, one girl on the winning team broke down crying, I broke out laughing.. at her. sorry girl, but that´s silly.

No comments: